Do you dread the familiar interview question, “Tell me about yourself?”
At Transition Solutions, we have been helping companies and individuals with workforce changes for 30 years.
We coach our clients on the do’s and don’ts of how best to answer this common question that often starts many interviews.
Dos and don’ts for answering “Tell me about yourself” in an interview
- Focus on a summary of your professional career relative to the role you are interview for.
- Prepare your statement and practice to ensure it’s concise and delivered confidently.
- Keep your response to 2 minutes in length.
- Be specific and speak to what sets you apart from other candidates.
- Mention relevant past experiences and proven successes with quantified results.
- Highlight your soft skills, in addition to your accomplishments.
- Connect your skills to the job description.
- Share briefly how you fit within the company’s culture.
- Wing it. Preparation is important to ensure you deliver the best response for that job.
- Provide personal information such as marital status, children, political or religious affiliations.
- List multiple, vague strengths without supporting examples.
- Summarize your resume word for word.
- Share great examples that have nothing to do with the job you are interviewing for.
- Prepare a lengthy statement that will go over 3 minutes.
- Mention pay or benefits at this stage, if early in the interview process. Get the interviewer to see how you’re the best candidate skill wise and cultural fit first.
- Speak negatively about your last role, manager or company.
Thoughtful preparation for this question and other frequently asked questions is important to setting a positive tone for the interview and hopefully help you get an offer!
At Transition Solutions, we have been helping companies and individuals with workforce changes for thirty years. Our strong reputation for consistently delivering exceptional service at value sets us apart. If you would like more information on our services please check out our website at https://www.transitionsolutions.com/ or you can contact us directly at 888-424-0003 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.