Does your LinkedIn profile contain recommendations?
One of the most powerful aspects of a LinkedIn profile are the recommendations given and received. In the old days, people would ask for a letter of recommendation that could be shared with future employees. The challenge was the ability to keep the letter over the long term either in printed or electronic form. Today, if you have asked and received recommendations published on your LinkedIn profile, prospective employers will either see them automatically when they go to your LinkedIn page or you can send them your URL.
At Transition Solutions we’ve been helping our clients navigate workforce changes and career transitions for over 30 years. Our flexible, customized programs meet the objectives of organizations of all sizes, industries and locations while providing employees in transition with a supportive, personalized and comprehensive program that meets their needs.
How do you request or give a LinkedIn recommendation?
Per LinkedIn support, below are the steps to requesting a recommendation:
- You can request recommendations from your 1st-degree connections you work with or have worked with. At Transition Solutions, we’d suggest you add a personalized message to increase your chances of getting a response from your network.
- If a connection writes you a recommendation, you’ll be notified via a message from the sender on LinkedIn.
- You can accept, dismiss or ask for revision of the recommendation.
- Once you’ve accepted a recommendation from your connection, it’ll be visible to your network by default. You can hide a recommendation you’ve accepted.
- You can also recognize your connections’ work by writing them a recommendation. If you receive a recommendation request, you can decline the request and aren’t required to respond. However, if you do write a recommendation and change your mind later, you have the option to revise a recommendation you’ve given or delete a recommendation. There’s no limit to the number of recommendations you can request or give.
Giving recommendations is just as important as receiving them. Taking the time to recognize other co-workers who have done an outstanding job demonstrates leadership and teamwork. Anyleads.com shared their advice below on creating a fantastic LinkedIn testimonial.
- Make it personal. Write a positive message. Don’t say things you don’t believe in otherwise your recommendation will sound fake. You can describe a specific situation and mention how the person did their best and also highlight an attitude or skills. You can and should address the person by their name.
- Recipient’s goal. Consider what the person who you are recommending might need to be highlighted in their profile. Read their summary and experience details as it might give you insight into skills and projects you can talk about on their recommendation.
- Be professional. This is not a chance to complain or give feedback, it’s a way to share appreciation and say positive things about the person. Being professional is mandatory in this case, and it can help you bond with the recipient.
- Keep it as short as possible. In case you wish to share more information, try adding short paragraphs instead of just a very long one. You have up to 3000 characters, but there is no need to use them all. Don’t be repetitive and try to add up to 3 paragraphs.
- Start with a content hook. Try adding a strong adjective in the beginning to catch the reader’s attention. For example: “Ana is the best at…” “John is great as…” “Mary was an amazing…”
- Finish with a powerful statement. Write something solid in the end to finish on a high note and reassuring the reader that the person is trustworthy. For example: “I’m sure she will be a great asset to any team she joins.” “Anyone would be lucky to have her as a manager.”
Well written recommendations can help you stand out on LinkedIn and inform prospective employers on your skills and abilities.
At Transition Solutions, we are experts in helping our clients navigate workforce changes and career transitions. We have developed a robust personalized and customized approach to every situation. Our strong reputation for consistently delivering exceptional service at value sets us apart. If you would like more information about our services please check out our website at https://www.transitionsolutions.com or you can contact us directly at 888-424-0003 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org