Are you maximizing the power of LinkedIn in your job search?
At Transition Solutions, we’ve been helping companies and individuals manage employee transitions for 30 years. We coach individuals from all industries on how to maximize the power of LinkedIn for their job search and overall career growth.
Having a professional online brand is essential for job search efforts and can help with your overall career goals. Create an authentic online identity and harness the power of LinkedIn by leveraging our top 10 list below.
- Professional looking photo. It should be a high-quality headshot that is recent and looks like you. Your face should take up around 60% of it (long-distance shots don’t stand out), wear what you would to work, and smile with your eyes!
- Customize your URL. You’ll be found easier, increase your perceived credibility, and it looks cleaner on your resume or business card. Go to view profile to edit your public profile URL.
- Background banner image. Add an interesting image or company logo. Think about what image describes the personality or beliefs as a professional. The right background photo helps your page stand out, engage attention and stay memorable.
- Descriptive headline. Use keywords, not just your job title and company that describe differentiation in management style, core competencies, skill or experience. Say a bit more about how you see your role, why you do what you do, and what makes you tick.
- Comprehensive “About” section. Written in 1st or 3rd person. The reader will initially only see 2-3 lines, so you’ll want to grab their attention early.
- Features. Showcase your best work by adding posts, articles, links or media. To help facilitate this process, try to be active in national, local and digital programs, associations and events.
- Activity. Your profile will become more visible and authoritative if you are liking, commenting and sharing articles. Writing original content is the best way for you to showcase your expertise.
- Experience and skills. Your experience should complement your resume, not be an exact copy. Use keyword choices that convey the quality and scope of your experience. Be specific and call out your accomplishments with quantified results where possible.
- Complete your profile. With education, volunteer experience, certifications and accomplishments. If you’re struggling to fill this section, consider this a call to action. Get busy, get specialized training in high value areas, or join charitable organizations in leadership roles. Highlight professional and personal
- Endorsements and recommendations. It is always best to have others confirm you are as great as you say you are! Therefore, don’t be afraid to ask for endorsements and recommendations from past managers and peers. And certainly pay it forward by endorsing rock stars you have worked with in the past!
Transition Solutions has been helping companies and individuals with workforce changes for thirty years. We are here to help you develop a plan, manage the change and assist your impacted employees by offering a robust personalized and customized approach to every situation and consistently delivering exceptional service at value sets us apart.
If you would like more information on the upcoming webinars or our services please check out our website at http://www.transitionsolutions.com or you can contact us directly at 888-424-0003 or email us at info@transitionsolutions.